How to Upgrade Home Security07/04/2015 Back To Blog
How many thief deterrents do you have installed at home? Do you know how many people rely on fake alarms and just hope this trick will work? It might work with some opportunist burglars but not with those who are determined to get into your house or have a strategy. For the latter ones, you have to make your own strategic moves so that you will never join the club of those who have a burglary story to narrate. Whether you live alone or have a large family, taking the right measures should be a first priority. Whether residing in an apartment or a single family house, lock replacement and repairs are necessary. Make a move before you start hearing rumors about burglaries in the neighborhood. By then it might be too late because the burgled house might be yours.
5 basic ways to increase security
Upgrading home security on a regular basis is the best solution. With burglary avoidance being the objective here, your actions will disappoint any potential intruders. Don't give them the pleasure of even considering breaking-in your house. The goal should be to discourage them even approaching your doorstep and the best way to achieve that is by reinforcing door locks but also all entry points around the house. Having the right systems installed and armed at all times is the basis of complete security. Additional methods come next and although they are also important, differ from house to house.
* Make sure the door is strong and the security door locks are reliable. If there is a mailbox, ditch it. Burglars might look through and even pull out keys by using fishing equipment.
* Secure well the windows. They often have simple latches, which serve almost nothing other than keeping the window closed. Add locks or change the window locking system from scratch.
* Don't forget to check patio and balcony doors. Whether you have French or sliding doors, make sure there are multiple locking points and choose durable, double layered glass panels.
* If you are considering having the locks replaced, why not get digital ones! Such systems are discouraging since codes are hard to break.
* Install a CCTV system. Just having the camera zooming on the face of the potential burglar is enough. Knowing he is being recorded is enough to keep him moving to the next target.
Upgrading the whole system just needs some attention and good planning but you must never forget that maintenance is equally important. Don't fall into the trap of installing them and then forget all about them. Addressing security matters with lock repairs is an ongoing job for your benefit.